Saturday, January 16, 2010

David Sedaris

just finished a book called 'Me Talk Pretty One Day' by David Sedaris. it took me almost a month to finish this. what was my problem? lama gilaa. and this is the only book i've read this holiday. ish. i should've finished at least 4 by now. entah la, maybe i don't the time (cehh). so okay, here's the thing about this book

this is not the kind of book i'll pick up at a book store, let alone buy it. sbb the cover and the title sounds like a chick flick and i don't read chick flicks. they say don't judge a book by it's cover, but i do. well.. i judge it more to the title. so i guess that's fine. my sister gave it to me, she flew it from the US. literally.so bila dah dapat free free tu, baca je laa. the reviews said it's funny, so i say what the heck, let's give it a try.

so then i did. finished yesterday. no, it's not what i thought it was. and shall i say, man, it is funny! hands down, the funniest book i've read. i'm a tough judge though. but this book cracked me up in almost every chapter. i didn't want it to end. but the thing that really hooked me was the writing. i love the way this man writes. the sentences, the structures,the phrases, the anecdotes, they were perfect.. to me, at least. i realised as i was reading, the way he writes is the same way i write! woop! we're the same!

of course i'm not as great as he is, but if i were to pursue my studies in english writing, if i were to become an author, that is exactly how i would be writing and this is the exact kind of book i would write for my first publish. it's like i found my future 'me'. haha. although it didn't win an award or anything, like the Pulitzer or such, but it surprises me that i really enjoyed it. this book is not a fiction, it's more like a rough autobiography with an odd arrangement. i guess that's why i like it so much, because it's weird.

if i tell anyone with a good sense in reading that i like David Sedaris, they'll probably laugh at me. i mean he's no Faulkner or Salinger, i know. but he's me. this book is not a masterpiece or a big deal, he's just another writer. so to Mr. Sedaris : eventhough you have a low IQ, i still think you're a genius (haha inside joke). and now you're officially my favourite writer.

so i'm recommending this book not just because it's wildly entertaining, but because i won't be writing any book any time soon, or later. so this is like a preview of how my book would be like if i choose this career. go read it. i hope it'll give you a perspective just like it has given me.


sorry ter-meleret. i can't help. tak boleh la tulis pendek2. it's habit.






.

No comments: